Thursday, July 18, 2013

Snowden- Man Without a Country

     I remember my first English Lit class when I started High School. The story presented in that first day of class was Man Without a Country. None of the students could relate to it because every single student in class had been born in the country of the United States. After that first class I had a healthy respect for the fact that I was born in the 'greatest country in the world'. This was impressed upon me, and I'm sure I can speak for everyone in that class as well, by the fact that the teacher of said class ( his surname was Gulizia- Italian ) pressed the idea strongly into our heads that this could never happen to a United States Citizen unless you became a proven traitor to the country.
    Reading an article the other day comparing Snowden to Daniel Ellsberg made me shake my head. Later on, I did find a rebuttal to that idea and I was glad to see it. There is no comparison. (If you want to read the article just Google The Washington Post and Jonathan Capehart, the journalist that wrote it.) What I want to say here is that Capehart could've gone much further in many aspects. Daniel Ellsberg exposed the government through the Pentagon Papers directly to the government. He didn't hand the bureau he worked for to the man on the street for a nickel. He never left the country because he didn't do anything that would necessitate the need to leave the country. Neither did Snowden- an independent contractor, no less- until the rest of the world found out, after he went on the lam, that the U.S. was spying on everybody. You can thank Snowden for that. It's ironic that he has been cornered in Russia. They don't hate us, they hate him. Big difference.
     Can't you just hear all the South American presidents and dictators all snickering together and saying, "Tell him....hee hee hee...tell him....hee hee hee... we'll take him if he can get someone to provide him with a visa to get here. Haw haw." Instead of turning himself in, after he was basically spurned out of Hong Kong with a slinky, he makes his way toward Russia. I'll bet he thought that he couldn't be touched there. Now that Obama has gotten Mueller safe in his padded cell and sworn in Comey, who hates sneaky surveillance with a passion, I'm sure that they'll let bygones be bygones. Pay no attention to those files charged behind the iron curtain, Eddie !
     I hope this will be a good lesson to all who think they can get away with this type of treason to the United States. He's not a hero, folks. This one is a coward. This is the home of the free and the brave- not the running with a bone for their life.
 
Just my two cents worth,
 
The Castle Lady 

No comments: