Thursday, March 08, 2007

Translations

I've spent the last couple of days translating French text into English and I believe I finally understand what people go through who translate books! They must go out of their mind! Not only do you have to change words to correct usage for the language you happen to be translating it into but you also have to deal with the idioms and word quirks of the particular writer in question of the original language in which the piece was written. Now I think I have a healthy respect for translators. Furthermore, I don't know that I'd want to do this on a regular basis either, because I feel my English suffers, somewhat, every time I have to do any translating of over, say- two to five hundred words.
That may not seem like a lot but that first paragraph I just wrote went well over a hundred words! Well, I think I'm done for the day. I have letters to write tomorrow- about five of them, I think ! At least they'll all be in English. I have a paper to write on Manchester and get it posted on my Castle Lady blog before everyone starts to think I've given up on posting anything on castles! ; )
I have an over due entry on Women in Rock that turned out to be the writ of the century. I have half a book written at this point. Hmmm. Maybe....
Well, we'll see. At any rate, I have a kazillion things to write tomorrow and then I have to do one nail client. Life is crazy but I love the writing life. I wouldn't trade it for anything.

The Castle Lady coming at ya with lots of kisses!

No comments: