Tuesday, November 10, 2020

This too Shall Pass

 


     Never before have I experienced a year quite like 2020. It didn’t start out that way for me and I’m sure it didn’t for anyone else. As a matter of fact, January appeared to provide a clear path to forge ahead with my original 2006 plan to finish England on my Word Press site and it started with a fresh new attack for a knock-out Berkshire plan which was, all too soon, swept away with a continuance of all the drawn-out complications of my 2019 debacles (which also started in January last year, by the way) combined with the Covid-19 epidemic in the U.S. by February of this year. All plans were knocked down like dominoes again. The only aspect of my life that they have not swept away is my resolve to do exactly what I set out to do fourteen years ago, regardless. I’m so close and you know how determined I am, by now!

     To be completely honest, however, I am totally swamped with all the non-writing chores, essentials and ‘latest catastrophes’ that I wade through every morning trying to stem the tide of to-dos, call lists, morning routines, extra work around the exterior of my home and dealing with my father’s 2020 incident which started, ironically, practically the same day that Kobe Bryant and his daughter were swept away in a senseless and tragic accident. (Occasionally, this summer, Johnny Burnette’s song I’ve Got a Lot of Things To do has run through my mind over and over again until I thought I might lose it! Check out my rock blog for the music video of it!) Remember, I am working here on my own. There is no chance of someone else picking up things and putting them away or making a meal here and there and running a sweeper occasionally. I’m beginning to think that seniors who go into assisted living have it going on, you know what I mean? Well, I’m sure they earned the right, one way or another, so we’ll move along.

     When all is said and done, I’m very thankful for my situation. I’m alive and thriving. I’ve got plenty of things to do at home to keep me busy on into infinity (and beyond). There is always too much to do and I still run out of daylight before I’ve tackled 25% of what needs to be done each day leave alone the things I’d rather be doing- like finishing and posting my south England Word Press entries. When I manage to jump a major hurdle I rejoice and remember those who can no longer be a part of this wonderful world God created. Sometimes you can barely tell that this whole sphere is on the decline. I know that sounds negative but let’s face the music and dance- life is more challenging than ever- but I love a challenge! (I don’t care for being overwhelmed by too many challenges all at once, however!)

     At any rate, here are some pointers to ponder as you deal with all the Covid and non-Covid curveballs:

 


          1. I am developing a new coping mechanism. When something similar comes around again I’ll know exactly what I’m doing and I’ll handle it better than I did the first time.

          2. The old adage, “What doesn’t kill me makes me stronger”, is not only true but it is encouraging. Hum the tune I Will Survive if you feel overwhelmed. (It works better than I’ve Got a Lot of Things to do!) And it helps. It really does.  

          3. If you start to feel like you just want to quit, reach out to someone you know any way you can. There’s always the telephone and someone you can call if nothing else. We really are in this whole thing together, as corny as it is beginning to sound. We all need a support person. If you can, appoint someone to call you occasionally and you do the same, even if you have to drop everything to do it. (Within reason, of course!) You don’t have to have a big, fancy Zoom session, just one person who really listens without judging.

          4. Use this whole years’ trials and troubles as a learning experience. Start writing things down that you’ve never known and do research on them. Knowledge is power and survival.

          5. Try to be kind and compassionate with people even if it is obvious they’re having a bad day. Treat them like you want to be treated. Sound like too much to deal with? Think of it this way: You are showing people how you wish to be treated. Kindness starts with respect first.

          6. Remember, we will get through this and stronger than ever. Resolve to keep telling yourself, “This too shall pass.” Not only is it biblical but it is a philosophy that comes down from our forefathers from as far back as written history will allow us to trace. It was my maternal grandmother’s fav quote. If you say otherwise you are setting yourself up to fail. Don’t do that. Be strong, sure, true and real. Stay safety-minded and keep your faith. Nobody has ever won anything thinking “I’m going to fail. I’m going to lose.” Winners keep their eyes on the victory ahead. Bon courage!

    

Victory and Freedom reigns in 2020!

 


The Castle Lady

3 comments:

dellgirl said...

This is a really stimulating post, Evelyn. Thanks for sharing this interesting information. It’s good to remember this and think seriously about it.

Wishing You All the Best! Stay Safe, my friend!

Anonymous said...

Good to hear from you Leona! Take care of yourself and don't let anything get you down. There's always something to be thankful for, right?

dellgirl said...

I’m looking forward to seeing you over at my place. Michael is enjoying the lovely comments about his birthday.