Monday, May 17, 2010

Hear the other side.

That quote by Saint Augustine is a flagship citation for anyone who truly wishes to be a peacemaker.

I have met a few of those in my time. I have often tried to be one myself and have had some successes but I'd be lying if I didn't tell you that sometimes I have failed at it miserably. I don't know if that is a failing of my own but I can say unequivocally that when I try to make peace I am earnest and quite sober about it. People who are enraged are impossible to appease and I've never seen a person reach this stage of loss of control who can easily be laughed off. When someone is fighting to be taken seriously they refuse to laugh. They are also the most difficult people to live and work with on all counts. So what's the answer?

Remember that 70s quote that was on almost everyone's lips? (If you're not part of the solution then you're part of the problem.) It's logic that's difficult to disprove and I find is most often right. In order to have peace it has to be in your head first. If you can't find it there and hang onto it then don't expect to get in the middle of someone else's affairs and make peace. This is not to say that everyone who has head problems makes problems for everyone else. That isn't my point. However, if you cannot make peace with yourself you're not an obvious candidate to make peace for the world. You basically have to be able to focus on being a peacemaker, make it your priority and then there's one other type of solution that always seems to work wonders. Learn how to listen to people. They often say things they don't mean when they are scared, lonely or just hurting. People will strike out at others when they feel bereft of any other recourse. People are basically selfish and are badly in need of attention. If you take these things into consideration and you really care about people you're half way to being a true intercessor to the world. It badly needs you.


Blessed kisses from
The Castle Lady

No comments: